Serbia has received a loan from the World Bank (Bank), through the “Serbia Accelerating Innovation and Growth Entrepreneurship Project” (Project), to contribute to the country’s growth and competitiveness by improving (i) relevance and excellence of scientific research and (ii) innovative entrepreneurship and access to finance for enterprise growth.
The Science Fund (SF) needs to engage four individual – Science Fund Development Consultants (part-time consultants).
Objective of the assignment
The SAIGE Project will support technical assistance (TA) for the operationalization of the Science Fund, including corporate governance, organizational structure, monitoring and evaluation (M&E) and other key institutional elements.
For the purpose of implementation of the Project requirements the SF needs to engage a qualified Consultant (Science Fund Consultant hereinafter: The Consultant). The Consultant will assess the current capacity of the SF and assist the Science Fund (SF) in further development of procedures required for successful implementation of research programs and other activities under Component 1 of the Project. The Consultant will be the part of the Working Group consisted of 4 experts and formed by SF. The Consultant shall collaborate and coordinate closely with the members of the Working Group.
Scope of Work
During the course of his/her engagement, the Consultant is expected to provide the following services:
- Assess the current capacity of the SF, particularly for managing different programs, and identify gaps and priority improvement areas;
- Assess the current and planned SF programs, overall and compared to broader strategic priorities, as well as existing and planned SF capacity;
- Develop a methodology for designing long term plan for forthcoming programs which will include decision making process on how proposed new programs are prioritized, how is their scope determined (including program budget, indicative number of recipients, etc.), and addressing potential resource gaps;
- Develop a plan of upgrading SF capacity and provide recommendations for future capacity building and trainings for SF staff and bodies;
- Review of the existing procedures and accompanying documentation;
- Comparison of the procedures to other similar successful institutions and best practices;
- Recommendations for further improvements and development of individual programs or procedures;
- Participation in design of the new or improved procedures and documentation;
- Final review of the new or improved procedures and documentation;
- Recommendations for further development of the SF in general.
Timing and Duration
The expected time effort is approximately 28 consultant-days in the period of 24 months with a possibility of extension. The Consultant will be invited to travel to Serbia/Belgrade minimum 2 times during the course of the assignment. In light of the recent crisis related to the coronavirus pandemic, the requirement for travel to Serbia will be re-assessed during the course of the assignment. If needed, alternative arrangements will be discussed and mutually agreed upon between the Consultant and the SF.
The assignment is envisaged to start in October 2021.
Required experience and qualifications
• Relevant Masters Degree (e.g. Science, Technology, Engineering, Law or Economics);
• MBA or PhD is desirable;
• At least 10 years of professional experience, preferably in research funding institutions in EU or other foreign countries;
• Experience in program/project management related to research and innovations;
• Previous participation and experience in designing procedures and documentation related to research programs, project evaluation and/or project monitoring;
• Experience in contributing to the implementation of the research programmes at international and/or national level;
• Conducting programs and/or project reviews and creating detailed reports for executive staff and/or funding institutions/sources;
• Experience in contributing to optimization and improving processes and the overall approach where necessary;
• Experience in management and coordination of sectors, departments or other organizational units, coordinating staff and internal resources;
• Experience in managing large and diverse teams is desirable;
• Experience in management of research funding institutions is desired;
• Previous experience with World Bank/other international organisations funded programs is desired;
• Fluency in written and spoken English is required
The detailed Terms of Reference for the above referenced consulting services is posted on the website of the Science Fund http://fondzanauku.gov.rs/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/ToR-Science-Fund-Consultant.pdf.
The Central Fiduciary Unit (CFU) of the Ministry of Finance now invites eligible Consultants to indicate their interest in providing the Services. Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services.
The evaluation criteria for the assignment:
• Qualifications and Competence relevant to the Assignment ( 40 Points)
• Specific Experience relevant to the Assignment ( 60 Points)
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 3.14, 3.16 and 3.17 of the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers – Procurement in Investment Project Financing Goods, Works, Non-Consulting and Consulting Services (July 2016, revised November 2017 and August 2018) (“the Regulations”) setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Open Competitive Selection of Individual Consultants as set out in the Regulations.
Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours 09:00 to 15:00 hours.
Expressions of interest in English language must be delivered in a written form to the email below, by October 08, 2021, 12:00 hours, noon, local time. Interested consultants must provide Cover Letter and CV representing description of similar assignments, experience in similar conditions and availability of appropriate skills.
|To:||email@example.com Ms Ljiljana Krejovic Procurement Specialist||Ministry of Finance Central Fiduciary Unit 3-5 Sremska St 11000 Belgrade, Serbia Tel: (+381 11) 2021587|
PDF version can be downloaded HERE.
Short version can be downloaded HERE.